One of the best ways to keep your heat pump in good working order is by performing regular maintenance. Staying on top of maintenance can pay off by extending the life of the unit and helping it operate at maximum efficiency.
To keep your heat pump in tip-top shape, you should hire a professional to clean and inspect the unit once a year. During their inspection, the technician should perform the following tasks:
- Replace the systems air filter. Check the ducts, blower and coils for built up dirt and debris.
- If necessary, remove any plants or vegetation from around the unit.
- Check to make sure there is adequate airflow in both the indoor and outdoor system.
- Check the back up emergency heat system for proper operation.
- Check electrical connections and repair to avoid any potential problems.
- Verify that the thermostat is functioning correctly. Calibrate if necessary.
- Measure system for proper refrigerant charge.
- Check the defrost cycle for proper operation of your heat pump.
- Clean and lubricate the indoor and outdoor motor.
Some of these tasks, such as replacing the filter and removing vegetation from around the unit, can be done on your own. However, for other more complicated tasks, it is a good idea to bring in a professional. HVAC specialists use high-tech equipment that allow them to diagnose problems that you may otherwise miss.
Heat pump inspections are relatively inexpensive and can often pay for themselves through energy savings over time. Not only that, but knowing that your unit has been inspected by a qualified technician can give you peace of mind throughout the entire heating season.
If you live in the Kansas City area and would like to schedule a fall heat pump inspection, contact us at Overland Park Heating and Cooling.We take pride in providing top quality service to our customers and look forward to working with you.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pumps and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Overland Park Heating & Cooling services Overland Park and surrounding areas in Kansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!