Carbon Monoxide — Don’t Risk Exposure, Install CO Detectors

In the home, carbon monoxide can be a silent killer. Undetectable by sight or smell, it can cause dizziness, headaches and fatigue in small doses. With prolonged exposure, it can be deadly. If you haven’t yet installed carbon monoxide detectors in your home or business, now is the time.

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is created through the process of combustion in many products found in the home, such as furnaces, chimneys, gas water heaters, stoves, fireplaces and more. If any of these appliances develop leaks, the carbon monoxide in your home could escalate to unsafe levels. And since carbon monoxide is a totally odorless and transparent gas, the only way to know of an increase in the CO level is with a detector.

Experts recommend that you install low-level CO detectors on each floor of your house. Because unlike smoke, carbon monoxide does not rise. That’s why it is important to put a detector on every level of your home, from the basement to the attic.

Although installing carbon monoxide detectors is a necessary precaution, there are other things you can do to help prevent a tragedy:

  • Make sure your gas appliances are properly adjusted.
  • Install exhaust fans over all your gas-powered appliances.
  • Open flues completely opened when using the fireplace.
  • Have a professional clean and inspect your heating appliances annually.
  • Make sure the door on your stove fits tightly.

If you have questions or would like to schedule an installation, contact us at Overland Park Heating & Cooling.

Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).

Overland Park Heating & Cooling services Overland Park and surrounding areas in Kansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!