Now that hot weather is upon us, you probably don’t need much of a reminder about the importance of a properly functioning air conditioner. Annual service is the only way to be sure your system will work efficiently when you need it the most. A professional technician has the experience and technology to clean and inspect your system for possible problems, including:
Condenser Unit – The condenser unit releases the heat outdoors and cools the refrigerant traveling to the air handler. Several parts examined and cleaned are:
- Fins: Outside air flows in the fins. Over time the fins become dirty and airflow is restricted.
- Coils: The coils release the heat as the air flowing over the coils cools the refrigerant. Dirt accumulates on the coils, hindering the process.
Refrigerant Line – The line carries cooled refrigerant from the condenser to the air handler. Areas of concern are:
- Insulation: Insulation protects the line from outside air. The refrigerant will be affected if the line is harmed.
- Refrigerant levels: The levels are specific amounts according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Low levels indicate a leak.
Air Handler – The air handler is the machined that “conditions” the air and returns it to your rooms. For this process to function correctly these parts are examined:
- Evaporator coils: The coils collect dirt, making it difficult to transfer heat and cool the coils.
- Condensate drain: A blocked drain will cause the condensate pan to accumulate water, creating excess humidity in the air.
Ducts – Ducts transfer the conditioned air to your rooms. If the ducts develop leaks from loose seams, several problems will occur:
- Dirt: Pollutants will enter the ducts and travel to your rooms.
- Mold: If moisture enters the leaks, mold will form inside the ducts and produce an unpleasant odor.
Your air conditioner will prosper with annual maintenance and provide your family with a cool, comfortable home during the summer. For more information on preventive maintenance, contact the expert team at Overland Park Heating and Cooling, Inc., serving Kansas City and the surrounding areas.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Overland Park Heating & Cooling services Overland Park and surrounding areas in Kansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Scheduled Maintenance image via Shutterstock|