On average a water heater will last between eight and 12 years before it needs to be replaced, thereby making it one of the more common HVAC investments that a homeowner will make. The cost of a water heater varies widely, and a big part of the cost is based on the type of installation that will be required. Homeowners should appoint a professional and licensed contractor to ensure that the water heater install process is conducted safely, and that the process adheres to applicable local and/or state codes.
Water Heater Install Information
- Licensed and qualified contractors are required to install a water heater correctly, to ensure that all the safety features are in place and that the installation complies with plumbing code.
- Water heaters should be adequately plumbed with sufficient clearance and drip pans if required.
- Gas-fired tank and tankless water heaters should be properly vented to prevent the accidental exposure to carbon monoxide gasses.
- Energy-efficient water heaters – including tankless systems – are generally more expensive to purchase and install.
- The installation of a tankless water heater can take up to 10 hours compared with the three hours that it takes to install a traditional water heater.
- The special venting requirements, the need for a dedicated gas line that can supply large volumes of gas on demand, and the specialized electrical work that is required for the installation of a gas-fueled tankless water heater is something that only experienced and licensed professional should attempt. Installing a gas storage tank water heater is also more involved than installing an electric model, especially if your home isn’t already outfitted with gas fixtures or venting.
The installation of water heaters is a specialized field, and it’s important to use contractors that are experienced, licensed and have the necessary permits. Any installation work has to comply with local plumbing code and all safety precautions should be followed.
For more expert water heater install advice and other issues related to home comfort, please contact us at Overland Park Heating & Cooling, Inc. We’ve been proudly serving the Greater Kansas City and Kansas area for over 30 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Overland Park, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “You Touch Pix of EuToch/Shutterstock”