The Importance of a Carbon Monoxide Detector  

As a homeowner, there are a lot of priorities that fight for your attention on any given day. Between keeping your house clean, stylish, and warm, sometimes the whole process can be a little overwhelming. However, no matter how many tasks try to steal your attention, your number one priority should always be to keep your house safe.

A big part of keeping your home, and in turn your loved ones, safe is protecting them from carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide (known as CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that, if not detected early enough, can have dangerous side effects for you and your family. Carbon Monoxide is produced any time fuel is burned in cars, small engines, stoves, grills, fireplaces, or even furnaces. Once created, this gas can build up inside of your home, and once it reaches a high enough level, can be deadly.

The good news is that protecting your home and loved ones from this dangerous gas is as simple as installing a carbon monoxide detector. This detector will monitor the levels of carbon monoxide in your home at any given time, and will alert you with an alarm when that number has increased to a dangerous place.

Opt for a carbon monoxide detector that is either battery operated or has a battery back-up, and place it somewhere where the alarm will wake you up in the middle of the night, like outside of your bedroom. Also consider opting for a detector with a digital display so you can actively monitor CO levels in your home with just a glance.

A carbon monoxide detector has the power to save lives, so make sure you are caring for it properly. Replace the batteries at least once every six months, and replace the entire detector with a new unit every five years. Make the safety of your home your number one priority, and rest easy knowing you and your loved ones are protected.