While it’s definitely important to make an informed decision, hiring an HVAC professional doesn’t have to be a difficult process. To lessen the burden, we’ve gathered together 10 tips that will make it much easier for you to decide:
- Check for licensing – Every contracting company must meet certain license and insurance requirements in order to be in business. Check with your state for the requirements, then ask for proof from the contractor.
- Ask for refferals – If you can find a friend, neighbor, relative or co-worker who uses a reputable contractor already, your search will be easier.
- Check references – Ask for a list of references and call each one to find out how the service was.
- Be knowledgeable – When you call a contractor, if you know certain information — such as the make and model of your system as well as any maintenance history. This can helpful in discussing any issues you are having thus making your job easier.
- Inquire about discounts – Special pricing is often available for certain services. Ask over the phone and check the company’s website.
- Expect an evaluation – A good contractor will want to take a look at your home to check on its energy efficiency and any issues you may be experiencing.
- Insist on Energy Star – A technician should advise you to install heating and cooling equipment that has been certified by Energy Star to ensure energy efficiency and performance.
- Obtain written proposal – When contractors submit a written proposal, they should include overall cost, energy efficiency information, warranty details and a detailed scope of the work.
- Sign the contract before work begins – Your new contractor shouldn’t be conducting any work on your home until everything has been finalized in writing. The contractor should include a contingency plan in case anything must be changed during the project.
- Tell your friends – If you’re happy with the contractor’s work, be sure to tell people you know. Also inform them about the benefits of Energy Star products.
If you’d like more information on what to look for when hiring an HVAC professional, or have concerns about your home comfort, please contact the heating and cooling experts at Overland Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the Greater Kansas area since 1983.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Overland Park, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock