Selecting a new furnace for your Kansas City area home has long-lasting consequences. Because the average furnace is capable of heating a home for the next 15 to 20 years, it’s important that you choose the right one for your specific needs and family’s comfort.
Before Your Furnace Installation
Although every home has different needs, there are a few set items that every homeowner should review before investing in a new furnace. Consider the following and you’ll be well on your way to a painless furnace replacement.
- Consult with a licensed HVAC professional. A qualified expert will be able to guide you toward the proper furnace for your needs, while guaranteeing the work.
- Decide which type of furnace meets your needs, both with regard to fuel type and efficiency level. While natural gas furnaces are the most common, and may make the most sense if you’re replacing a gas furnace, take some time to research the other options available. This may be the right time to make the switch to an air-source or geothermal heat pump.
- Familiarize yourself with Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings. Every furnace comes with an AFUE rating, which informs you of its efficiency. The higher the rating, the lower your monthly energy bills. Your best bet is to install a high-efficiency condensing furnace with an AFUE of 90 percent or more. The high installation cost will be defrayed by significantly lower operating costs over time.
- Make sure your HVAC professional intends to perform a Manual J heating load calculation when sizing your furnace. An oversized system can cause as many problems as one that’s too small.
- Get a written warranty from your HVAC contractor before they begin the work. This will provide you with two guarantees – the warranty for your furnace and the warranty for the labor involved in your furnace installation.
Fortunately, your home should only require a new furnace every 15-25 years or so. By communicating clearly with your HVAC team, you can be assured of many years of home comfort.
Contact the heating and cooling experts at Overland Park Heating & Cooling, Inc.We’ve been providing our customers in the Kansas City area with unbeatable service since 1983.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Overland Park, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Maksim Kabakou/Shutterstock”