You rely on your heating system to keep your home comfortable throughout the Kansas City winter. Having a furnace inspection performed by a trustworthy HVAC professional can give you peace of mind that your system is in good working condition. It can also provide you with a number of other benefits:
- You’ll avoid the inconvenience and stress of a mid-winter system failure by catching small issues before they become major problems.
- You’ll help protect your home and family from safety concerns such as carbon monoxide leaks and other safety issues
- You’ll extend the life of your heating equipment. Proper maintenance can prevent the undue wear and tear that leads to early system replacement and it will also validate equipment warranty requirements
- With a furnace inspection, your system’s energy efficiency will improve, and you’ll enjoy lower home heating costs.
Furnace inspections can vary based on your type of heating system and the company you hire, so it’s important to ask for details on exactly what is involved. As a general guideline, here are some of the tasks you should expect a knowledgeable and reliable HVAC pro to include:
- Checking for proper thermostat function and calibration.
- Cleaning or replacing the air filter.
- Checking for flue obstructions.
- Inspecting, cleaning and adjusting the blower components
- Lubricating all moving parts to reduce friction.
- Examining the heat exchangers for corrosion, cracks or other damage.
- Inspecting and cleaning the condensate drain lines.
- Checking for proper functioning of the safety controls.
- Examining and tightening all the electrical connections.
- Provide a thorough combustion analysis for improved efficiency
- Testing and cleaning the burner to ensure proper operation.
- Checking the gas lines and connections for signs of leaks.
- Check the fan motor capacitor
- Checking that the system starts, runs and shuts off properly.
- Testing amp draw of fan motor and inducer assembly
- Check and clean flame sensor.
- Test flame ignitor
For more details on what to expect during your furnace inspection, please contact us at Overland Park Heating & Cooling. We’ve served the HVAC needs of Kansas City and the surrounding communities since 1983.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Overland Park, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock