As temperatures drop across the Kansas City Metro, homeowners are beginning to turn up the heat to keep their homes warm. While many opt for central heat throughout their entire home, a good percentage of people choose to save on costs, and use a space heater to keep their house comfortable.
However, while they are oftentimes efficient and economical, space heaters that are not properly used or cared for can pose a big risk to the safety of both your home and family. Some of those risks include:
Increased Fire Hazard
Because of the high temperatures they produce in enclosed areas, space heaters have a high risk of becoming a fire hazard. Whether fuel burning or electric, these machines can easily overheat, tip over, or catch fire to nearby objects that can then spread flames at a moment’s notice. In fact, a high number of devastating house fires in the winter months are attributed specifically to space heaters.
Potential for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Space heaters that burn any kind of fuel have the potential to cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Since this gas is colorless and odorless, it is important that any home using a space heater (or as we recommend, any home at all) installs a carbon monoxide detector so your family can be warned before dangerous levels of CO are reached.
High Threat of Electrical Shock
Like anything that plugs into an outlet, electrical space heaters can lead to an increased risk of shock. Dangerous to even an adult, not to mention a child, the shock caused by space heaters can be detrimental to the health of both your home and family.
If you rely on a space heater in the winter months, the best way to lower these risks is to be prepared. Place your heater three feet away from any other object or structure, opt for a model with an overheat and tip-over warning function, and most importantly, make sure everyone in your family is well educated on the usage and safety of the unit.
To learn more about space heater safety, or to find an alternative heating solution for your home, visit Overland Park Heating and Cooling today.