A dirty HVAC filter can cause a variety of problems in your Kansas City area home. Many homeowners believe that a dirty air filter isn’t something to be concerned about, or that a replacement can be put off for months at a time. Routine HVAC maintenance is crucial, and regular air filter replacement should be at the top of your list. Check out the top five reasons regular filter replacement is necessary:
- A dirty air filter will restrict airflow into your HVAC system. This will force your heating and cooling equipment, including the blower motor, to work harder than necessary, leading to premature breakdowns.
- Another downfall of a harder-working blower motor? Increased energy consumption, and with it, higher energy bills.
- Dirty air filters can aggravate allergies and asthma in both children and adults, due to the compromised air quality from dust and debris that gets blown past your clogged filter. When shopping for a new air filter, if air quality is special concern in your home, pick one in the mid to high range of MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value).
- A dirty air filter won’t be the only dirty part of your HVAC system if it goes without replacement. Without a proper air filter replacement routine, internal components of your heating and air-conditioning systems will get dirty as well, leading to costly cleaning bills and even damage over time.
- Due to higher energy usage resulting from a dirty filter, you will increase your carbon footprint and be less environmentally friendly. An air filter replacement can help get your energy usage back on track.
If you’d like to know more about how your air filter contributes to the well-being of your HVAC system, please contact us at Overland Park Heating & Cooling. We’ve been serving the greater Kansas City area since 1983 and continue to provide excellent service every day.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Overland Park, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock